In Mexico, you can obtain a Permanent Resident Visa by qualifying through a number of methods:
- If you have certain close family connections in Mexico
- As a retiree, if you have enough income to support yourself
- Have 4 years consecutive status as a temporary resident
- Marriage to a Mexican national and 2 years of consecutive status as a temporary resident
- Meet a minimum score under the Points System
- Political asylum or humanitarian ground
To go to the INM Information page for Permanent Resident Visas, click here
You will start your process in your home country as indicated. The process is the same as the Temporary Resident Visa, except for the requirements to qualify.
If you are qualifying after living in Mexico on a Temporary Visa, you will not have to leave the country to obtain your permanent visa. Simply visit your local INM office after filling out the proper forms online.
Extension Pino Suárez No. 479 Col. Ejido Modelo CP 76177 Querétaro, Qro.
Telephone: 442 214 1538
Customer Service Hours: Monday to Friday from 09:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
To qualify financially, you will have to meet one of 2 criteria:
- You must have a monthly income of 500 times the minimum daily wage in the DF which in 2020 is 123.22 pesos or a total of 61,610 pesos per month ( or approximately 2800 USD at this time). You will need to have 6 months bank statements showing this income.
- You must have 12 monthly bank statements showing that you maintained an average balance of 25,000 times the daily minimum wage in the DF, or 3,080,500 pesos (approx 140,000USD)
- After your 4th year in Mexico on a temporary resident visa, you can change to the permanent visa without meeting the above criteria.
In 2020, the fees for obtaining the visa are as follows:
- Permanent Visa Card $5,206 pesos
- Change fee for changing from a temporary resident visa $1,365 pesos
To start the process, go to the INM website and file online here